24 June 2016

Moving Military Style Part 7- Last Days of HHT; coming home

Friday 10 June 2016

We spend the day waiting to see if our new counter offer is accepted by sellers. They could decide to pull the house off the market altogether and not sell at all. This is stressful.

We've not much to do today. After a hectic start to the week, we aren't sure what to do. Set up rental homes to look at? We don't really want to unless we know for sure what's happening with the other house. Boys can only swim for so long in hotel pool. Shopping? Meh, what would we buy? We don't need anything and whatever we buy either has to come home to MB (which means it will be packed in a few weeks anyway) or stay at someone's house here until we can collect it.

We decide to drive to the East side of Ottawa and show the boys where we used to live, their old school and the playgrounds we spent hours and hours in back in 2005-2009.

Jacob remembers more than we thought he would. William remembers snippets of things. Our old street has changed a lot. All the little trees that were new saplings when we moved in are now quite a bit bigger. The street is looking nice and leafy and starting to fill in. We are disappointed with the state of many of the homes though. They are looking quite run down and shabby. Beyond lawns that needed mowing and flower gardens that needed weeding, doors and trim need painting. A number of homes had stonework in need of repair. Driveways have not been maintained and cracks are filled with weeds. Too bad. These houses are only 11 years old and should look better than they do.

The boys play for a bit at the playground that was just around the corner from our old house. Nothing has changed here, expect for the trees having grown larger. It's quite a cold day, especially for June. We end up freezing cold and decide to leave in search of some lunch. At least we know some of what's around here! There are many new shops, but most of the old ones are still here too.

Driving back over to the West end after lunch, I get a call from our agent. She wants to meet us ASAP. We agree on a time to meet at the hotel in a few hours.

Get to hotel, settle Max in for a nap and send the older boys down to the pool for a swim. Agent arrives and we discuss how to move forward. Time is ticking and we still have not heard back from the sellers agent. Deadline is in 2 hours. Agent's phone rings and it's the seller's agent. Counter offer accepted!!

Happy with that news, we sign more papers and see our agent off. We won't see her again until July, since our flight is tomorrow afternoon. We can now go home and deal with the bank, lawyers and everything else from there.

----------
Saturday 11 June 2016

We have arranged to visit my brother and his family before we head home. Our flight doesn't leave until 2:30 so we have quite a bit of time. We spend the morning at Lance's letting the boys play and drinking coffee, catching up from the week. This is the least stress we've felt in a few weeks and it's good to unwind a bit. We enjoy is as much as we can before heading to the airport.

Airport and things get crazy. Does anyone else hate the security line up as much as I do? It never fails that I get flagged by the machine for having something on me, or for a "random" check. I do not believe these bag checks and pat-downs are totally random, as I am selected nearly every flight I take. I must appear guilty or something. This time, not only do my boots set off the machine, but on my second pass through after removing them, I am "randomly" selected to have my bags gone through.

I'm so annoyed. Corey, Max and Jacob sailed through the security line quickly and with no issues. They hit the family line and got to jump ahead. I waited for Will to dump out water from his water bottle and by the time he was done, the rest of the family was long gone. We had to wait in the regular lineup. It was long and I was really annoyed at a few of the other people in line with us.

So, by the time I'm not so randomly selected I've about had it. I'm hungry, tired and just want to get away from there. I get grilled about my bags. You know what I have? My purse. That's it. It's not even very big. They ask me if the larger carry-on in the other container beside mine belong to me. They do not. I just TOLD them that all I had was this one item. They ask if the bag on the other side is mine. Seriously? Then they ask if I packed my bag myself. What. The. Hell. It's my purse for goodness sake. I'm so close to screaming at them and making a scene, but don't feel like getting put in their silly little jail or whatever they do to irate passengers. No wonder people get upset!

Then, my boots don't come back. The one guy took them once I removed them the first time the machine went off and I didn't see where they went. So, I'm standing there, in the way of all the people from other countries who are holding passports, collecting their carry on items without trouble, with no shoes. Why are none of these people being stopped? I'm a Canadian citizen, flying within my own country, and they are giving me grief while all these visitors pass through without incident. It is infuriating.

I ask a security lady where my boots are. Apparently they landed back on the security line of stuff and are coming. They take about 10 minutes to show up. So ridiculous. I vow to not fly anywhere again for a very long time, and next time I'll show up to security nude and with no carry on items. This is too stupid for words.

I then find out that while Corey had pudding cups confiscated from his bag, William makes it through with the same kind, undetected. Security is a joke.

We order lunch and guess what? They forget my order. Did I mention how much I hate airports and flying? It is so miserable. Max throws tantrum after tantrum and I want to join him. He's beyond tired, and now we're about to fly for 3 hours over lunch time, nap time and land by his dinner time.

Things don't really improve much on the plane. Max is angry that he has to sit in his seat and does not want to nap. The final 1/2 hour of decent was the worst. Max and the other children around us take turns screaming and having meltdowns. We are the party section of the plane!

We finally arrive home and it's past dinner time. Order pizza and are thankful we don't have to do that again for a while. If we've ever needed a drink it's now. We have no drinks in the house and the only mix is ginger ale leftover from our friends move and donated to us. Bugger. We all go to bed, to exhausted to bother unpacking or starting on the laundry. Tomorrow is Sunday and we'll have time for it then.

No comments:

Post a Comment