21 June 2016

The financial conditions and pre-move consultation

We've been home from our house hunting trip for a week and a half now. The final conditions on our house we are buying in Ontario have still not cleared. It's the financial ones. The bank is moving at a snails pace and being unreasonably picky. We've had a mortgage with the same bank for 12 years and do not understand what is going on.

They ordered an appraisal for the house we're trying to buy. We waited all weekend for that to come back. We found out yesterday that it's worth what we paid, so that should satisfy everything. We had to sign more papers yesterday to get an extension on the purchase of the house. It expired yesterday at 5 PM in ON. We now have until this Friday to get it done. Well, our mortgage broker and the bank need to get things sorted. It's out of our hands now.

Yesterday was also our scheduled day for the pre-move consultation. I always forget about this part.  A guy shows up with a clipboard and pen and walks around the house moaning about how much stuff we have for them to pack.

He started in the garage this time, because that's where I sent him. He was not pleased. It's messy out there, things keep getting moved around to make room for the kids bikes or cutting wood for projects or whatever. It's disorganized and we use it to store all the bits and bobs that accumulate from living in so many different houses. What doesn't fit in this house might in the next, and often does (sometimes 4 or 5 houses later!)

He picked everything apart. What's in these boxes? Why aren't you unpacked from the last move yet? What's this, what's that? On and on. I'm annoyed and tell him we haven't unpacked because we had no where to unpack our things to. We had to finish the basement first and create rooms. Then we got posted again. This is our 5th move in 3 years and he can just shut his mouth and keep his opinions to himself.

Ok, I didn't say that last bit, but I really wanted to. I don't need his opinion. He doesn't know. He's probably been living in the same house for the past 30 years and has no clue. He tells me that he's they type of person that if he doesn't use something he gets rid of it. Good for him. I used to do that but now I don't have the time, energy, or really care at this point, to be honest. Leave me alone and do your job.

So, he continues through the house. Are you taking this? Are you taking that? I have to repeat everything that we aren't taking twice, it's annoying. He smells like cigarettes and I want him out of my house.

"This is a lot of wood. Are you taking it all? What's it for?" Yes- I'm taking it all. Some of it is hobby wood and some is from our swing set we've dismantled. We get to take 500lbs. Leave me alone.

"You can't take liquids you know, they won't pack them"

For the love of Pete, I KNOW!! This is not my first move. This isn't even my 10th move. I've got it. Up until move day, I'm probably going to have liquids in my house. You know, weird things like olive oil, salad dressing and laundry detergent. Even then, if I pack it and bring it myself in my car, it can come with us. Not a big deal. Leave me alone!

I sign the forms to say he gave me the pre-move information booklet. We're supposed to read this before each move. On the form I notice he didn't circle the section for us to have a pre-pack day. I tell him I want one. We've never had one before, but it would make the actual pack day a lot easier.

Pre pack is when they come up to 10 days before your pack day and pack up all non-essential items. You can get them to pack up the garage, basement and any other areas, as long as it doesn't interfere with day to day living. So, they can't pack the kitchen, but can pack all the small appliances you rarely use and can get by without.

He tells me that with the amount of items we have, we really should have had pre-pack days on previous moves.

"Yes, I know, that's why I'm asking now. Pack day is way too busy and confusing otherwise."

I'm left wondering why is it not circled on the form then? He circles it and says we need a pre-pack. Ummm, yes, I know, I just told you that! Just. Leave.

Most annoying consultation ever.

Now I'm waiting for the report to come back and to say we are over weight.  We are allowed 20,000 lbs. It's been a problem this year in Winnipeg. A number of people have been told they are over and it turns out they are under. Sometimes by quite a bit. How they screw up a 5000lb difference I will never know.

We can't be over. The military moved us just 19 months ago and haven't purchased anything large that would add weight since. We've barely purchased anything at all, aside from groceries and a few hobby supplies. I did get rid of quite a bit in the spring, so if anything, we should weigh less this time than last.

I've not received an email today, so it should be coming by tomorrow. They have to get it to us within 2 business days and I'm anxious to schedule the pre-pack days on one of Corey's days off. The guy was meant to do it yesterday, but of course, he didn't, and instead told me someone from his office would be phoning to do it. No call from them yet either.

More waiting.

Update: We received an email this evening. We're at just over 17,000 lbs. Looking over the list, it seems they have over-estimated by quite a bit. I would be interested to see what our actual weight is after we are loaded up.



No comments:

Post a Comment